Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Trending Down

Lately I've been thinking a lot about fashion. I know you look at me and you think - she never thinks about fashion but that wouldn't be true. I'm very aware of styles but I just can't seem to make myself spend the money that fashion requires (although I wish I could).

I'm heading to New York in late February and that makes me think about my first trip in 2001. I was one week away from September 11 so that trip could have been something completely different but luckily it will be remembered for Sex and the City and and rolled jeans. This style was all over the streets.

I loved it and so when I got back to Austin I started rolling up my jeans. I got SOOOOO much flack for that move. People asked me constantly if I was waiting for a flood and then there was just the usual "are you going like that?" I would tell them "oh you just wait - you'll be wearing your pants like this real soon."

I waited.

I left Austin in 2003 and that style still hadn't hit mainstream, but by 2004 or 2005 it was everywhere. THREE YEARS!

My question is, why does it take so long for fashion to trend down to the rest of the country? Austin is a pretty forward thinking place so I wouldn't think they would be far down the list.  Are they testing to see if it works in New York and LA before the major advertisers and retailers start showing that kind of fashion?

I seriously have no idea but I do look forward to walking around the City getting a look at 2012.

No comments: