Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Just like High School

I had a friend who told me a couple of years ago how great it was that Joshua and I didn't have to get to know each other because we always knew each other. While it isn't quite true, we have experienced quite a lot together since we met at 16. Until she said that I had never thought about the fact that we never had an adult introduction where we had to get to know each other's past. He and I have a collective memory for almost the past 12 years.

This week I am in Texas helping my mom recover from surgery on her right rotator cuff. Joshua stayed in Tennessee because it didn't seem fiscally responsible to pay for two plane tickets when we only needed to replace one arm.

The last couple of nights we have talked on the phone for about an hour and as we were talking last night it felt very reminiscent of high school. Although the house and bedroom we were both in were different, the conversation felt very similar to conversations we had many nights 10 years ago. We recounted our day, talked longer than we should have because it felt like this was the only contact we had all day (in high school that wasn't true but it always felt like it), and neither of us wanted to hang up the phone.

I don't know which I like better, that we had those conversations at 17 or that we still have them at 28. I think it's a tie.

No comments: