Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Be the Change

The Presidential Election has me all in a flurry this time around. Neither option is a great choice and it seems that we always run into that problem every four years. Don't worry, I'm not getting into politics - but it does make me think about how I want the world to look.

I want every child to have fresh water and food everyday. I want everyone to have the opportunity to go to school. I want people to be able to keep more of the money they work so hard to earn. I want people to give more of that money away to make the first two things possible. I want people who are sick to have access to the things that make them better. I want people to know the hope that I have and believe there is a better life.

Pretty lofty list and that is just the beginning. I don't think there is a candidate that can help with my list and that makes the choice hard for me. However, 3 things happened this weekend that showed me what I need to do.

#1 An idea "Be the change you want to see in the world." - That's a quote from Ghandi but I heard it on Grey's Anatomy

#2 An opportunity - We met with an organization in Nashville called Youth Encouragement Services that has worked for the last 50 years with kids in the projects of Nashville giving them an opportunity to change their destiny.

#3 An outcome - We watched Born Into Brothels about a photographer who gave years of her life to help children of prostitutes escape that world.

There is no easy solution to my list but that isn't my problem. I need to do what I can and trust that someone else will be working beside me to help with the other items. So this year, instead of teaching the ESL class we have done for 2 years we are going to tutor kids on Tuesday evening. I can't wait to get started and I don't think I'm going to change the world, I'm just going to do my part.

No comments: