Thursday, March 27, 2008

Nashville MTA now thinks I'm crazy

I really should be used to this now.  Being a video producer means everyone I talk to thinks I am crazy.  "Yes sir, I need you to hold the gate to the subway open because we need to get this full size chalkboard on the 5."  "Yes ma'am you heard me right.  We want to use your front door-we just need someone to open it and walk in...Yes in your house."  "We are almost done with this shot.  Is it possible for you to stop the drilling on this oil platform for 15 minutes?  I have donuts in the car you can have."

You would think I would get used to it, but I just don't.  I get a kick out of being the first person to do, ask, get permission for something but somewhere deep inside it bothers me that the first 8 people I talk to before I get permission think I'm crazy.  I'm not a "normal" person and people who know me know that, but for some reason I want strangers to think that I am normal.  Weird, huh?

So anyway, back to MTA.  Our church is having a "The Church has left the Building Day" on April 20th and so we are trying to find a way to spend our "church time" out helping our community.  Joshua and I came up with this idea to provide some bus benches at a bus stop or 2 that don't have one and then ride the buses that day paying everyone's fare.  Our community group thought it was an interesting idea so we prayed last night at community group for favor with the Nashville MTA and then I was elected to call (my mom always says don't volunteer an idea you don't want to be in charge of) 

So this morning I call.  Each person I talked to had no idea what to do with me.  From the tone in the their voice I could tell they were sure of 2 things: 1. I wasn't going to get permission to do it 2. I was a crazy person for even asking.  I got that from customer service and the receptionist.  The voicemail of the COO was much more understanding, but we'll see if I get a call back.  I followed up the call with an email to the COO so that he has written proof of the crazy person who is trying to help the people in her neighborhood.  I'll keep you updated on our progress.

No comments: